I use a Mac, and I’m thankful that the OS X platform has a history of fewer problems with malware than Windows. There are some ‘design’ reasons for that benefit to OS X users, but either way, it’s a good idea to keep the tools handy for protection against malware attacks.
ClamXav is a Mac port of the free and open source virus scanner called ClamAV. I have found it to be stable and reliable. It has been updated recently to version 2.6.4, and MacUpdate.com provides information about this latest release along with a description of the software provided by the developer.
ClamXav is a free virus checker for OS X. It uses the tried, tested, and very popular ClamAV open source antivirus engine as a back end.
I hope you like and use ClamXav a lot and that it helps keep you and your friends/colleagues virus-free. Although I’m providing ClamXav for free, I am increasingly spending more and more time developing it and would really appreciate if you would consider making a donation please. All donations (no matter how small) are gratefully received and would be a huge incentive to help me work on future versions of ClamXav, but more importantly I rely on donations to pay for my bandwidth costs. Please consider it, see the ClamXav homepage, click the ‘More Information’ link above on this page.
- ClamAV engine updated 0.98.4
- ClamXav now supports going full screen on OS X 10.7 or later
- Fixed issue where ClamXav might incorrectly report a file being moved to quarantine
- Fixed issue where ClamXav would crash if the RunFreshclam tool was missing
- Fixed issue where clamdscan gets stuck in a loop using 100% CPU
- Improvements for OS X 10.10 Yosemite